Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I remember...

A famous poet, Taylor Malli, visited our school. He was not only a poet, he was an entertainer. He had a talk with my class in which we shared some of our earliest memories; here are mine:

I remember....

...standing at the top of the wooden staircase at my old house and seeing my dad below, he was talking on the phone. Me, age 4, thinking my dad was superman, jumped expecting him to catch me. I don’t remember hitting the ground, just falling, but apparently my dad didn’t catch me, thanks dad!

...my 6th birthday party; suddenly the lights went out, no one was scared: they all thought it was cool, haunted house... YAY! But when the lights came on, one girl was crying in my older sister’s boyfriend’s lap....

…playing hide and seek with my cousins, hiding in the garage on Christmas Eve and accidentally seeing my cousin dress up as Santa, not a fun Christmas.

...one Christmas when a big bunch of my family were having porridge. There’s this Norwegian tradition were you drop and almond into the pot of porridge before serving it to everyone; the person who gets the almond wins a marzipan pig. Well one time everyone somehow got an almond in their porridge, well everyone but me. Well I started crying and after all that yelling and screaming, turns out I don’t like marzipan. Bummer!

…my family and I were in Cuba for my big sister’s handball tournament. We staying at this resort with a pool and one day everyone was swimming so I thought why not? Well I couldn’t swim and thank god a woman helped me out.

...one time me and my family went to a ski resort, we would go to this ski resort every year at winter break. Well there are two ski lifts the ‘small one’ and the ‘big one’. Well it was me and Kathleen’s first time at ‘big lift’ and it was a terrible day, it was just cold and windy, well I raced down towards my dad seeing him at the bottom, not bothering to break. I was going crazy fast but I still expected my dad to catch me, I flew under his legs but he grabbed me by the arms.

we were on a field trip at my old school, it was 2nd grade. We were hiking up this mountain called Dalsnuten, it was cold and windy and when we got to the top, guess what? It was colder and windier. More than half the class started crying and we had to go down almost immediately.

...sitting at the kitchen table, being bored and suddenly seeing this book. It had emergency numbers on it. I took the phone and dialed in the numbers, like I’d seen my parents do before, and waited for it to answer. A man answered, one of my cousin’s walked in and asked me what I was doing, nothing! I replied quickly and didn’t touch a phone for a while.

...my dad and I in a super market, I didn’t really look at his face, just his pants: they were an ugly shay of brown only my dad would wear. Well after I while I got lost and saw my dad after a while I ran and hugged his leg: it was the farthest I could reach. The man which I was hugging went ‘excuse me’ and then I looked up at his face. It was not my dad. I started crying, no screaming, and held on tighter. Everybody started staring but I didn’t care. Finally my dad came and hugged me. Poor dad, always getting lost.

...it was my mom and dad’s anniversary and my dad had come home from work early so he could make mom a cake. Dad is great at making dinner-like foods, but mom’s best at dessert. Well he burnt the cake, mom came home right then. Mom was really worried about the oven, out of all things, and had completely forgot the anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment