Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Courage...

When I was in fourth grade, we went on a field trip to Camp Awana. It was a lot of fun because it was my first camping trip. We got to sleep in tents and we had a camp fire just like normal camping. Well except for the 5-star food that came from the next door 5-star hotel, but that was the only luxury. There were three activities that we were going to do during our short stay, they were; rock climbing, abseiling and flying fox. I was fine with rock climbing and flying fox, actually I quite enjoyed them, but when it came to abseiling, I was scared stiff. I’ve never really been scared of heights in particular but for some reason abseiling frightened me. When I walked up the stairs to get to the slanted ramp, I looked down and saw how far I was from the ground. That’s when I got scared. I know everybody gets scared some time, but I just thought it would be to embarrassing to be the only person too scared not to go abseiling, don't you think so?
The man on the top of the ramp showed how to use the harness and he said that we were going to walk down the ramp, facing backwards to both me and my best friend, Madyson. Madyson wasn’t scared so she helped me get through it. My heart was beating faster and faster as I got fastened into the harness and I kept whispering "I'm gonna die. I'm not gonna make it" under my breath. Thankfully only Madyson heard it. "Of course you're gonna make it, it's perfectly safe I've done it before" Madyson said. This reassured me, my best friend was there with me. As I started walking down the ramp I talked to Madyson and I just enjoyed the experience, I even went a second time! But what I didn't know, was that the second time, we were going down the ramp facing forwards. This time, we would actually see how far we were from the ground. This startled me and made me really nervous, but I managed to get down the ramp with Madyson talking to me step by step. When I got to the bottom I realized how much I had enjoyed and I was actually jealous of all the kids that went after me! I was so happy I had come over my fear and I realized that I had enjoyed it so much.
Courage... It's a weird thing, right? There are so many different ways to show courage, so many definitions of courage one of them from the Oxford American dictionary is "the ability to do something that frightens one or  strength in the face of pain or grief." I showed courage by overcoming my fear of heights and I had a lot of fun doing it. Madyson played a big part in getting rid of my fear because if she wasn't there to encourage me, I would still be scared today. You don't need to overcome your fears by yourselves, it's always ok to ask for help for your friends. If your friends don't want to help you than they might not really be your friends. Courage is an important trait to have you don't have to be really brave, just be able to do what's right.


This is the 5 star hotel we were next to

Sources:
http://kleynsphilippines.blogspot.com/2010/06/cerc-family-camp.html


1 comment:

  1. QUESTIONS:
    Could you be scared because you never tried this before? What was there to be embrassed about, everyone has fears? Did you overcome your fear after you done it? Would you want to do abseiling again? If you did not like abseiling did you like the experince?

    COMMENTS:
    This relates to the question I was also quite scared about abseiling because I never tried before until fourth grade! Luckliy you had a friend like Madyson to kelp you go through with you. I like how you slowed down a bit in the part how scared you was in abseiling. The word choice was fabluous! Not a lot of repeative words in the writing. Your style of writing is a bit similar to Cienna's which is ok I think your style is perfect it is like a snapshot of how scared you was and how much fun the field trip was camping, eating, having camp fires and the 5 star food.

    WHAT I LEARNED:
    I di not know you was that concerned in abseiling and how Madyson is that close of a friend she is to you.

    ReplyDelete